Thursday, July 15, 2010

Learn Why RCM Blitz is Different

I work someplace different every week.

A different town, city, state, or country.

The people I work with usually speak a little differently than I do. They have a different accent and may even speak a different language.

The things we perform RCM Blitz™ on are different for nearly every company I work with. I have performed Reliability Centered Maintenance analysis on bottle fillers, dishwasher conveyors, chemical tanks, oil platform equipment, air compressors and barge unloaders. I can honestly say that while each one of these systems had several components or parts in common, each system and each result was different.

We have performed the exact same RCM analysis techniques for identical pieces of equipment at locations that were only 1500 miles apart and we discovered several different failure modes and several different mitigating tasks. While the equipment was identical, the locations as well as design and installation practices were very different and as a result the reliability of these two assets was very different.

With all of the differences I have listed, I still completely understand when a customer calls or makes the statement in the first day of training that "I'm not sure this will work for us....we are different."

I like to reply that I believe you’re different, so am I and so is the process you about to learn about. It works on everything and it depends on the knowledge, experience, and determination of your people and their desire to improve.

RCM Blitz™ is Different!

No comments: